From Helix Community
Helix Player MS2.1
The Helix Player is the Helix Community's open source media player for consumers. This document covers download and installation instructions, known issues and licensing for the HelixPlayer MS2.1 release. This release is a minor increment release to MS2 and therefore the only changes/modifications from MS2 release notes are noted in italics below.
For the most up-to-date information, check the following URL:
- What's New
- Known Issues
- Installation Instructions
- Using the Installer and RPMs
- Preference Locations
- FAQ and Support
This is the readme file for Helix Player MS2.1 release. This file will be modified as we have more information - so please do check our website periodically for new and updated information.
What's New in MS2.1
Most of the work in this build has gone towards stabilizing features and fixing some known issues and bugs.
- RPMs are now available
- Early Solaris(SPARC) builds are now available (RA10 high-bitrate audio is not available on Solaris(SPARC))
- A lot of plugin stabilization work has gone into this release. The plugin now works with older versions of mozilla (pre-1.5)
Please see the notes below for what is new in MS2.
What's New in MS2
There are several major additions to this build including UI enhancements and support for new datatypes.
- Group Support has been added. It provides Previous/Next buttons when playing files in metafiles
- A basic help document has been added. It will be replaced by a more advanced help system
- Clip info for the clip being played now can be viewed under View -> Clip Details
- The Helix Player now shows a Status Display at the bottom of the window
- New mediatype support: RV10, RA10, SMIL, RealText, RealPix
- New preferences: Sound/Video Hardware, Connection/Advanced Connection/Proxy, URL Hurling Preferences
- URL hurling doesn't work as expected.
- Issues with RV1 playback
- DNET codec (part of RealAudio G2) is not functional. Multimedia content that uses DNET as the audio codec will still play without audio (MS2.1)
- Alsa and esound drivers are not included in this build
- The OSS device used for playback can be set using the AUDIO environment variable.
Using the Installer
- Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "
chmod a+x hxplay-0.2.1.10-platform-arch.bin" (substitute the correct architecture/compiler version for your system.) command from a terminal window
- Run the .bin file. It will provide you with several prompts, including the target installation directory
- After the player has installed, copy the
nphelix.xptfiles from the
directory to your mozilla plugins directory
- Usually, this can be accomplished using a command similar to "
cp /usr/local/HelixPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.* /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"
- After copying the files to the Mozilla plugins directory restart mozilla, and look at "about:plugins" in mozilla to see if it picks them up. It should look something like this: Helix DNA Plugin
File name: nphelix.so
Helix DNA Plugin (for Mozilla)
|MIME Type||Description|| Suffixes||Enabled|
|audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin||RealPlayer Plugin Metafile||rpm||Yes|
Using the RPM (for Linux)
- download the
.rpmfile (substitute the correct architecture/compiler version for your system.)
- login as root
- run the command
"rpm -i HelixPlayer-0.2.1.10-20040304-
- The player places it's prefs at
FAQ and Other means of support
The full release notes (and download instructions) are available for you here. You can post your questions on either the FAQ forum, via irc on irc.helixcommunity.org channel #player, or via the email@example.com mailing list. You can report bugs via the Helix Issue Tracker. Helix Player bugs can be logged under the Player component. Do look up all open bugs against player to help reduce duplicates being entered. Here is a listing at the time of release.
|NEW||add libglade support to the build farm|
|OPEN||disable zoom/fullscreen when no video present|
|NEW||Player should use xml for its config file|
|NEW||Mozilla plugin needs seeking api|
|NEW||Mozilla plugin needs URL hurling support|
|NEW||Meta bug to track all Mozilla Plugin bugs|
|NEW||compiling hxplay with gcc 3.3 will crash|
|NEW||Plugin needs callback for failed url load|
|NEW||Installer associates RealPlayer8 plugins w/ Embedded player|
|NEW||add HELIX_FEATURE_NO_INTERNAL_PREFS to player profile|
|NEW||Installation is not RPM friendly and intrusive|
|NEW||Pause and Resume should use the same shortcut key|
|OPEN||Need minimum hardware requirement spec|
|NEW||M2 plugin segfaults with Mozilla 1.6|
|NEW||Helix Player nightly build for the date of 1/29/2004 Mozilla plugin segfaults when loading an embedded video in Netscape 7.1|
|NEW||Mozilla app missing after install helix player|
|NEW||Plugin requires nspr symbols only available on moz1.5+|
|OPEN||Plugin should differentiate between a crash and hxplay not found|
|NEW||Playback statistics display incorrect audio codec details|
|NEW||Segmentation fault with .rm (real media) files|
|NEW||Mozilla Plugin can't work.|
|NEW||player doesn't play files with dots (.) in their pathname|
|NEW||file open dialog should remember last directory|
|NEW||solaris fails to install mozilla plugin|
|NEW||Closing mozilla window playing real media content crashes the mozilla|