From Helix Community
RealPlayer 10 for Linux
Gold Release Notes
- 350MHz Intel Pentium II processor or equivalent (500 MHz Pentium III or greater recommended)
- 64MB of RAM
- 30MB available disk space
- 28.8Kbps modem (High-speed Internet connection recommended)
- Sound card supported by OSS drivers
- 65,000-color video display card set to display at 800x600 (video)
What's New in Gold
RealPlayer 10 for Linux contains many new features and improvements over previous releases of the player. Salient features include:
- Support for the latest RealAudio and RealVideo codecs
- Support for the Vorbis and Theora codecs
- Hardware accelerated video
- A modern GTK-based interface
- If you are having problems playing back media and are behind a proxy you can try using rtsp transport via http only (go to transports pane in prefs, select "use specified transport" and click "configure rtsp." Then uncheck "attempt multicast," "attempt udp," and "attempt tcp.")
- Context Menu might not work while managing favorites with older GTK
- If RealPlayer 8 is installed on the system (via rpm) the RealPlayer 10 rpm does not remove RP8 before installing RP10. This means that RP8 and RP10 coexist on the same system. In the event that this configuration results in any problems with the embedded player (plugin) please delete the file rpnp.so from your mozilla plugins directory. (issue #2678)
- Some content encoded in RealAudio 3 fails to play. Multimedia content that uses RA3 as the audio codec will still play without audio. RA3 has been deprecated.
- Player does not play gnome-vfs URI's (smb://). Workaround is to mount the samba share using smbmount etc (issue #2269).
- Alsa and esound drivers are not included in this build
The OSS device used for playback can be set using the AUDIO environment variable. eg
- See the Helix Player bug tracker for a list of the latest issues that affect the player.
Downloading the player
You can download the gold version of RealPlayer 10 for Linux from http://www.real.com/linux.
| RealPlayer-10.0.0.297-20040730.i586.rpm|| 0dcfbc92139246d981a119e331b31f93|
| RealPlayer-10.0.0.297-20040730.ppc.rpm|| b78691d5b4a55f10f702f619e497aeb6|
| legacy-RealPlayer-10.0.0.297-20040730.i586.rpm|| 2cfdf356e5b279e5da8ed0fa2b628fdb|
| legacy-realplay-10.0.0.297-linux-2.2-libc6-i386.bin|| ff090559497fd91be0d9f0a9f9a30a5c|
| legacy-realplay-10.0.0.297-linux-2.2-libc6-i386.tar.bz2|| 11d76e15482abe3bdc5c456a78fade48|
| realplay-10.0.0.297-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin|| 1e6435241bfb0ea6c015ec717fbf141a|
| realplay-10.0.0.297-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.tar.bz2|| e643b960e3631b3cfbc2048bd2ea6d5b|
| realplay-10.0.0.297-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-powerpc.bin|| 52830319358c5a9994e531fe28101502|
| realplay-10.0.0.297-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-powerpc.tar.bz2|| 0582fc3320ab83a1ae28d277a6df39c2|
| realplay-10.0.0.297-sunos-5.8-sparc.bin|| ec9177ea7e8cde0d39d623687b334571|
| realplay-10.0.0.297-sunos-5.8-sparc.tar.bz2|| b9fb19f80e7bdca6bd9c07085b528cdf|
| realplay-10.0.0.297.tar.bz2|| d94a9d8ebfc202dd4beee58ac79ab0bd|
Using the Installer
- Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "
chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.
- Execute the .bin file by typing
./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin. It will provide you with several prompts and will walk you through the installation.
- After copying the files to the Mozilla plugins directory restart mozilla, and look at "about:plugins" in mozilla to check that they are being loaded. It should look like this:
Helix DNA Plugin
File name: nphelix.so
Helix DNA Plugin (for Mozilla)
|MIME Type||Description|| Suffixes||Enabled|
|audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin||RealPlayer Plugin Metafile||rpm||Yes|
Using the RPM (for Linux)
- download the
- login as root
- run the command
Please send email to email@example.com with any feedback/concerns/comments.
FAQ and Other means of support
You can check the player help page.
You can also post your questions on either the FAQ forum, via irc on irc.helixcommunity.org channel #player, or via the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list. You can report bugs via the Helix Issue Tracker. Helix Player bugs can be logged under the Player component. Do look up all open bugs against player to help reduce duplicates being entered.
Thank you for using the RealPlayer!