From Helix Community
Helix Player 1.0.5 for Unix
The Helix Player 1.0.5 is a complete, free and open source media player, licensed under your choice of three options: open source (RPSL), commercial community source (RCSL), and the free software GNU General Public License (GPL). It plays open media formats, like Ogg Vorbis and Theora, H.261, H.263, GIF, JPEG, PNG, RealText and SMIL.
- What's New
- Known Issues
- Installation Instructions
- Downloading the player
- Using the Installer and RPMs
- Preference Locations
- FAQ and Support
This is the readme file for the Helix Player 1.0.5 release. This file will be modified as we have more information - so please do check our website periodically for new and updated information.
What's New in 1.0.5
- Security fixes
- Support for U-Law and A-Law encoded AU and wav files
- Chained Ogg support
- Content will open in an existing Helix Player where possible (this did not work previously on some KDE desktops).
- Uncompressed audio support (WAV, AU)
- On distributions using the gtk-qt theme, the volume slider may disapper. On SuSE, this can be worked around by running "touch ~/.no-qtrc-to-gtkrc-mapping", logging out, and logging back in.
- If you are having problems playing back media and are behind a proxy you can try using rtsp transport via http only (go to transports pane in prefs, select "use specified transport" and click "configure rtsp." Then uncheck "attempt multicast," "attempt udp," and "attempt tcp.")
- Context Menu might not work while managing favorites with older GTK versions.
- Helix Player on Linux PPC RPM requires --ignorearch flag to install (issue #2569)
- Player does not play gnome-vfs URI's (smb://). Workaround is to mount the samba share using smbmount etc (issue #2269).
- Alsa and esound drivers are not included in this build
- The OSS device used for playback can be set using the AUDIO environment variable.
- See the Helix Player bug tracker for a list of the latest issues that affect the player.
- The value of the UDPPort preference, if used, needs to be set as a range, for example:
Downloading the player
You can download Helix Player 1.0.5 for Unix from: http://player.helixcommunity.org/downloads.
Using the Installer
- Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "
chmod a+x hxplay-18.104.22.1687-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin" command from a terminal window.
- Execute the .bin file by typing
hxplay-22.214.171.1247-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin. It will provide you with several prompts and will walk you through the installation.
- Confirm that the installer has copied the
nphelix.xptfiles to your mozilla plugins directory. If you installed as root, this should be under /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. If you installed as a user, they will be under ~/.mozilla/plugins.
- If your distribution uses a different folder for mozilla plugins, or if the install failed to copy the plugins, you may have to copy the plugin manually. After copying the files to the Mozilla plugins directory restart mozilla, and look at "about:plugins" in mozilla to check that they are being loaded. It should look like this:
Helix DNA Plugin
File name: nphelix.so
Helix DNA Plugin (for Mozilla)
|MIME Type||Description|| Suffixes||Enabled|
|audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin||RealPlayer Plugin Metafile||rpm||Yes|
Using the RPM (for Linux)
- download the HelixPlayer-126.96.36.1997-20050513.i586.rpm file (substitute the correct architecture/compiler version for your system.)
- login as root
- run the command
"rpm -i HelixPlayer-188.8.131.527-20050513.i586.rpm"
- The player places it's prefs at
~/.hxplayerrc (Helix Player)
FAQ and Other means of support
You can check the player help page.
You can also post your questions on either the FAQ forum, via irc on irc.helixcommunity.org channel #player, or via the email@example.com mailing list.
You can report bugs via the Helix Issue Tracker. Helix Player bugs can be logged under the Player component. Please look up all open bugs against player to help reduce duplicates being entered.
Thank you for using the Helix Player!