From Helix Community
RealPlayer 10.0.5 for Linux
- 350MHz Intel Pentium II processor or equivalent (500 MHz Pentium III or greater recommended)
- 64MB of RAM
- 30MB available disk space
- 28.8Kbps modem (High-speed Internet connection recommended)
- Sound card supported by OSS drivers
- 65,000-color video display card set to display at 800x600 (video)
What's New in 10.0.5
- Security fixes
- On distributions using the gtk-qt theme, the volume slider may disapper. On SuSE, this can be worked around by running "touch ~/.no-qtrc-to-gtkrc-mapping", logging out, and logging back in.
- If you are having problems playing back media and are behind a proxy you can try using rtsp transport via http only (go to transports pane in prefs, select "use specified transport" and click "configure rtsp." Then uncheck "attempt multicast," "attempt udp," and "attempt tcp.")
- Context Menu might not work while managing favorites with older GTK versions.
- If RealPlayer 8 is installed on the system (via rpm) the RealPlayer 10 rpm does not remove RP8 before installing RP10. This means that RP8 and RP10 coexist on the same system. In the event that this configuration results in any problems with the embedded player (plugin) please delete the file rpnp.so from your mozilla plugins directory. (issue #2678)
- Some content encoded in RealAudio 3 fails to play. Multimedia content that uses RA3 as the audio codec will still play without audio. RA3 has been deprecated.
- Player does not play gnome-vfs URI's (smb://). Workaround is to mount the samba share using smbmount etc (issue #2269).
- Alsa and esound drivers are not included in this build
The OSS device used for playback can be set using the AUDIO environment variable. eg
- See the Helix Player bug tracker for a list of the latest issues that affect the player.
- The value of the UDPPort preference, if used, needs to be set as a range, for example:
Setting it to a single number will result in a player crash.
Downloading the player
You can download RealPlayer 10.0.5 for Linux from http://www.real.com/linux.
Using the Installer
- Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "
chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.
- Execute the .bin file by typing
./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin. It will provide you with several prompts and will walk you through the installation.
- After copying the files to the Mozilla plugins directory restart mozilla, and look at "about:plugins" in mozilla to check that they are being loaded. It should look like this:
Helix DNA Plugin
File name: nphelix.so
Helix DNA Plugin (for Mozilla)
|MIME Type||Description|| Suffixes||Enabled|
|audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin||RealPlayer Plugin Metafile||rpm||Yes|
Using the RPM (for Linux)
- download the
- login as root
- run the command
Support pages for the RealPlayer for Linux are available at http://service.real.com. Click on RealPlayer and choose RealPlayer 10 for Linux/Unix from the drop down list.
To reach the development team please send email to email@example.com.
You can check the player help page in the Helix Player project.
Thank you for using the RealPlayer!